Whether you reside in Australia or overseas and are over the age of 18 years…..
The following procedure applies…..
1. Fill out a Notice of Intended Marriage form (NIM). Notice of Intended Marriage Form
2. Marrying couple or one of the persons to be married, to sign this form in the presence of the prescribed authority, as listed on the back of the NIM, in the designated area.
3. An authorised Celebrant, such as myself, can be witness to your signature/s
4. Lodge this completed and signed form with myself by both scanning the form and emailing it, or fax it to me.
5. When this form is received by celebrant it begins the countdown notice for your marriage, which is one month from that date and will remain viable for up to eighteen months from that date.
Original documents required to be sighted by celebrant for the successful completion of the NIM include the following:
1. Birth Certificate or passport. Passport should not be cancelled and if expired, not for more than two years.
2. If either party to the marriage has been married before, the original of the following
a) Divorce Certificate
b) Death Certificate, whichever is applicable.
3. To properly identify you, a photo ID such as Driver’s Licence etc….
All the documents to be sighted need to be presented before your marriage ceremony, to enable your marriage to take place.
If you are overseas, you may scan these documents and email them to me. Please don’t post them, just in case of loss. When you come to Australia please bring the originals with you for me to sight and record.
As your celebrant I will attend to all legal aspects of your marriage and prompt you when documents need to be signed and witnessed by me.
If you are unable to wait for the one month’s notice for whatever reason, a Shortening of Time will need to be sought with the proper authority. I can be of guidance in your inquiry.